Friday, March 3, 2017

Living with Faith

Yesterday I read about the correlation between religion and happy, successful families. I found it fascinating that studies have shown that attending religious services more than once a week leads to a 7.6 year increase in lifespan. Not only that, it correlates with lower rates of abuse, pornography, infidelity, and depression. Shared religious beliefs and involvement between spouses can strengthen marriage and leads to less divorce. Fathers who attend church are also more involved and committed to their children's lives. They parent with more emotional warmth, kindness, and mercy.
Every Sunday, my husband and I along with our 5 kids, go to a 3 hour church service. When people hear that the Mormon church service lasts for 3 hours every Sunday, many are taken back. They might feel that this is unnecessarily long and that they "couldn't do it." I guess this is just what we are used to. During the first hour, we meet all together as one congregation. We take the sacrament, sing hymns and members of the congregation, including the youth, share sermons and testimony of Jesus Christ and His gospel principles. The second hour, we meet in Sunday School groups and have more interactive lessons tailored to each specific age group. Children 11 and under go to primary or nursery, teens go to their own classes split by age, and adults attend their own class as well. The 3rd hour is divided up even more. Young women and young men (12-18 years) each go to a group that focuses on their unique challenges and capacities to become like the Savior. Likewise, adult women and adult men also go to separate
classes aimed at teaching them how to become better parents, spouses, neighbors and disciples. The children are split into classes by age group. I love that the members of our church get to receive not only messages as one unified congregation, but also lessons tailored specifically to each person according to their stage of life. I am a teacher for the 7 year old class. Almost every member of our congregation is asked to serve the church in some way, if they are willing and accept. No one gets paid to be in these "callings," not monetarily any way. We feel it is our duty to serve one another and we are compensated with many blessings and increased knowledge and skills. We receive no formal training or education to teach or lead. This is something else that many people find surprising, but there is a saying from our prophet, Thomas S. Monson that says:
 "Whom the Lord Calls, the Lord Qualifies.”
Our callings allow us to serve and grow. Many times, we learn more in our callings than those we teach and serve. It gives us a chance to be like the Savior. I also serve as the 8-12 year old girls activity leader. Every Tuesday night, the youth 8-18 get together for another activity to build unity and faith in Christ. I plan activities for the young girls group to help them learn new skills, talents, provide service for others, strengthen gospel principles, encourage them to make goals and good choices, and just get together with friends their age to have a good time. These activities provide us with the opportunity to attend religious services more than once a week, and help to keep us focused on the Savior. 

A correlation between religious youth and greater optimism and well-being has also been found. These youth also show less depression, anxiety, and fear as well as the ability to cope better with challenges and difficulties. I feel that all of the correlations I've read about are not by accident. Going to church each week and serving in my callings strengthens my faith, motivates me to do more good, helps me to feel the love of God, appreciation for my Savior, and gives me a sense of belonging. I do not have any family living close by. They are all at least 1500 miles away. My church congregation is like a family. We learn together, serve one another and are genuine friends. We not only share the same values, but we bond over shared interests, challenges, experiences and phases of life. We enjoy getting together as families to eat, play and laugh. Something we have maybe all heard is the phrase "It takes a village to raise a child." I am so grateful for my village of people who love, serve to teach my children each week. I take comfort in knowing I have back-up and support in the great responsibility of parenthood as well as support from my Father in Heaven who has my back. When I am spiritually recharged and in tune each week, I have the strength and will to keep moving forward, doing the best I can to be closer to the Savior and have His spirit with me. I know myself and my family receive blessings from doing these things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment