The is a picture to the left is of my paternal grandparents, who both passed about 25 years ago. Even though it has been such a long time, I still have warm and fond memories of spending time with them. They lived about 6 hours south of us, but we would visit at least monthly. I can still remember the smell of their house and the taste of Grandma's homemade tomato soup.I remember helping Grandpa pick fruit from his garden and tend to his sheep in the field. Almost every time we visited, we would sit around the card table and play their favorite game of "Rook" while eating ice cream. The freezer was always stocked with buckets of ice cream.
I am so grateful for the time I got to spend getting to know my grandparents. They taught me valuable lessons just by their examples. I'm sure I am a better person because of the time I spent with them. Research can back me up by showing that "children's perceptions of emotional closeness to their grandparents is related to reduced acting-out behaviors, such as promiscuity, drug abuse, and delinquency, and fewer symptoms of depression" (Hawkins, 2012). Time spent with grandparents is also linked to an increase in a desire to serve others. Its no wonder that 80% of people in the U.S. report the grandparent's role as extremely important. Many grandparents even adopt the role of primary caregivers, not an easy task. Children in these situations are usually taken from poor circumstances and do far better academically and socially when placed with their grandparents. You might describe these grandparents as heroes.
A grandparent's role does not just stop at their grandchildren. They also continue to offer support to their adult children. Some have even referred to them as "the family national guard" (Hagestad, 1985), since they step in during times of trial to offer assistance. Neil A. Maxwell explained that their roles change as they "put on their uniforms and actively provide help" in emergencies. When the crisis is over they "change back into their civilian clothes and resume a more typical relationship with their children and grandchildren."


No comments:
Post a Comment